Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What are you reading? --From Picture Books to YA--is a weekly meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  Visit Jen and Kellee to see more amazing books!

This week I went to All Write 2013 in Indiana so I didn't get to read as many chapter books as I would have liked.  However it was well worth it!  The conference was A-MAZ-ING!!!  I was still happy with what I did get accomplished!

 Millions, Billions, and Trillions: Understanding Big Numbers by David A. Adler
This picture takes a closer look at large numbers. Examples of the numbers are given to help give the reader a better understanding of how large the number is.
 


The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicals #2) by Rick Riordan
I am a fan of Rick Riordan's work!  In this book brother and sister, Carter and Sadie Kane, have the task of trying to find the three scrolls of Ra in order to awaken him so he can stop Apophis from swallowing the sun and Chaos ruling.
 
Annie and Helen by Deborah Hopkinson and Raúl Colón
This is a beautiful picture book biography.  One thing I really liked is how the author put in bits of letters from Annie Sullivan that documented Helen's progress.  I also enjoyed looking at the photographs on the endpapers. 
 
Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech
This is a companion to Love That Dog. Sharon Creech told the story of Jack's school year through a conversation between Jack and his teacher in his poetry notebook.  Jack is still sad about the loss of his dog and can't imagine anything taking his place.  There is a neighborhood cat that he is not fond of so he thinks all cats are awful.  However, for Christmas, his parents get him a kitten.
 
 
Never Smile at a Monkey: and 17 Other Important Things to Remember by Steve Jenkins
This book briefly talks about the dangerous nature of some seemingly harmless animals.  It tells what these animals do that are dangerous and what you should never do if you encounter one.
 
Nic Bishop Snakes by Nic Bishop
There are a lot of books about snakes but what makes this one stand out is the photography!  Nic Bishop did an amazing job with his photography.  You really need to read the Author's Note in this book to appreciate what he did.

Madam and Nun and 1001: What Is a Palindrome? by Brian P. Cleary
This book is a rhyming introduction to palindromes.  Many examples of panidromes are given from single words to phrases.
 
Fireflies by Heather C. Hudak
This is a nice book for young readers.  Many different pictures with interesting facts. 
 
Rapunzel retold by Stephanie Peters

Snow White retold by Martin Powell
These are fairy tales in graphic novel format.  The versions of these were different from the versions I have heard.
 
Gorillas in Danger by Helen Orme
This is another nice book for yound readers.  The book describes gorillas and discusses their plight.  I also like how there are suggestions for what the reader can do to help.
 
 
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell
In this picture book biography the author starts in the present and takes the reader back in time to learn about John Chapman. 

Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin
I have become a huge fan of Steve Sheinkin!  I love the way he writes nonfiction.  In this book, he describes the actions by some counterfeiters to steal Lincoln's remains to use as leverage to get a friend out of prison.

 



4 comments:

  1. You have some great books here. I am particularly interested in Never Smile at a Monkey. I think my 4th graders would love it. I am a sucker for anything about Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two books are definitely worth looking at! I am a fan of Steve Jenkins and the Annie and Helen book is one of my favorite books about those two people.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got so much accomplished for being at a conference- congratulations!! Some great books in here and some I've never heard of. I, too, am a big fan of Rick Riordan and I actually like the Kane Chronicles the best. Annie and Helen is also a really interesting biography- I love how she put it together. And YAY Hate that Cat! I love Love that Dog and Hate that Cat- brilliant!

    Happy reading this week :)

    Kellee
    http://www.unleashingreaders.com

    ReplyDelete