Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slice of Life Day 11- School Visits


My mom teaches 4th grade in another district in a town in a neighboring county. Today her school, as part of Right to Read Week, hosted author and mathematician Greg Tang. I went to her school to see Greg Tang. My district is looking into having him come next school year. 

It was great to see Greg Tang work with the students, teachers, and parents at their Parent Night. I will post more about him and what he shared tomorrow. 

One of my unexpected pleasures was just to see how things are managed in another school district. I have been to other elementary schools within my district, but it just doesn't compare to visiting an outside building.

I enjoyed seeing their schedule; how they prioritize different subjects. Seeing how the grade level works together with the little things such as classroom management gave me some different ideas. The different kind of work displayed in the hallway was fun to look at and read. 

I didn't really notice anything huge that I just had to take back to school to have the teachers start doing now.  It was the small things, the day-to-day things that got me thinking about changes I could implement. 

I think that we, the teachers, need to visit other schools from time-to-time just to observe and see new things. It was refreshing. It was even energizing. It was needed. 

1 comment:

  1. I like to go to other schools too! I even used to peek in windows and doors of schools when my kids played sports at other schools!

    ReplyDelete